Fall Discipleship Groups
Get a group of 4-6 men who are at least out of high school... If you’re part of an ABF or LG…start there.
Purposely leave room for a few additional men to join you.
Gather your group of men together and commit to 10 weeks of growth and encouragement. Plan to meet up in person (if possible) at least every other week. Focus on:
1) Bible reading and memorization
2) Read/Listen to a book together
3) Do something intentionally to gather relationally (to build your time together around)
4) Regular accountability and encouragement
5) Each man set their own goal for growing physically
- Move men from isolation into spiritual friendships
- Challenge men to know Jesus, not just checkboxes
- Equip men to know how to intentionally grow
- Encourage men to disciple men
- Move every man into an ongoing group for discipleship (ABF, LG, ongoing men’s group)
Ideas for meeting together
Great Bible Reading and Memorization Tools
- WL Bible Reading Plan https://wlgbc.com/sermons/
- New Testament in 60 Days https://my.bible.com/reading-
- Fighter Verses www.fighterverses.com
- The Walk: Steps for New and Renewed Followers of Jesus (Stephen Smallman)
- The Imperfect Disciple (Jared C. Wilson)
- Finally Free: Fighting for Purity with the Power of God’s Grace (Heath Lambert)
- Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire (Jim Cymbala)
Something Relational to Build Around
- Something physical: regular running, biking, hiking, etc.
- Serve together: Helping Hands, neighborhood projects, etc.
- Other ideas: Eat breakfast, sit around a fire, etc.
Accountability and Encouragement
- Man in the Mirror Questions https://resourcesformen.org/
- Commit to working out 3x a week on your own
- Do one workout a week together (maybe have a set time where people walk or jog together)
- Plan to do a race together
How to get started:
1. Connect with the men in your Life Group or ABF and make a plan for a 10-week discipleship focus.
2. Decide on the following information (and then send it back to Joel Hocking, Drew Etner, or Tim Wright so that it can be posted and other men can join your group).
PLEASE DO THIS BY SEPTEMBER 6.
(below is sample info, please let us know who will be your leader and what your group will be built around)
Core group: Men from the Wright Life Group. Other men are welcome!
Reading: “The Imperfect Disciple”
Physical focus: Every man will agree to workout at least 3x/week
Meeting every other week
3. Start meeting sometime the week of September 13. Aim to wrap up your 10 weeks by Thanksgiving (so that college students might be able to participate).